Controlling and managing our borders
- UKIP recognises the benefits of limited, controlled immigration.
- UKIP will leave the EU, and take back control of our borders. Work permits will be permitted to fill skills gaps in the UK jobs market.
- We will extend to EU citizens the existing points-based system for time-limited work permits. Those coming to work in the UK must have a job to go to, must speak English, must have accommodation agreed prior to their arrival, and must have NHS-approved health insurance.
- Migrants will only be eligible for benefits (in work or out of work) when they have been paying tax and NI for five years and will only be eligible for permanent residence after ten years.
- UKIP will reinstate the primary purpose rule for bringing foreign spouses and children to the UK.
- UKIP will not offer an amnesty for illegal immigrants or those gaining British passports through fraud.
- UKIP will return to the principles of the UN Convention of Refugees which serves to protect the most vulnerable.
Protecting jobs and increasing prosperity
- We would review all legislation and regulations from the EU (3,600 new laws since 2010) and remove those which hamper British prosperity and competitiveness.
- We would negotiate a bespoke trade agreement with the EU to enable our businesses to continue trading to mutual advantage.
- UKIP would not seek to remain in the European Free Trade Area (EFTA) or European Economic Area (EEA) while those treaties maintain a principle of free movement of labour, which prevents the UK managing its own borders.
- We would reoccupy the UK’s vacant seat at the World Trade Organisation, ensuring that we continue to enjoy ‘most favoured nation’ status in trade with the EU, as is required under WTO rules.
Reducing debts we leave to our grandchildren
- UKIP will leave the EU and save at least £8bn pa in net contributions.
- UKIP will cut the foreign aid budget by £9bn pa, prioritising disaster relief and schemes which provide water and inoculation against preventable diseases.
- UKIP will scrap the HS2 project which is uneconomical and unjustified.
- UKIP will abolish the Department of Energy and Climate Change and scrap green subsidies.
- UKIP will abolish the Department for Culture Media and Sport.
- UKIP will reduce Barnett Formula spending and give devolved parliaments and assemblies further tax powers to compensate.